Challenges or the I’m a miserable failure post

This week I decided I’d do a few wrap-up posts and I’m starting with challenges (my original list). I figured it would be an easy one since almost all attempts were botched this year.

So, jumping in, it’s the end of the year and I’ve failed at most of the reading challenges I entered this year. It was bound to happen. There are so many challenges and I always tend to over estimate what I’m capable of reading in a year. I kept signing up but somehow I didn’t keep reading.

The tally, here goes… In 2012, I managed to complete The Stephen King Project, reading more books than I thought I would thanks to a co-worker who gave me several of King’s books and got me started. For the Gender in SciFi Challenge, I managed only three of six. The Back to the Classics Challenge was even worse; of the nine on my list, I finished one and quit another. The Tea and Books Reading Challenge also had a pathetic showing; I was going to read four and only read one. In fact, I never even picked the fourth book for the challenge. For the BHA Book Club, which isn’t really a challenge but since I’m already adding up what I didn’t do I thought I throw it in, I read three books.

My personal re-reading challenge was also a bust — I had seven on my list and finished three. Since getting a Nook, I’ve started keeping track of the ebooks I read and this year I read 28 which is down from 36 the year before.

In general, I read less this year which shouldn’t make my failing challenges a big surprise. I know a lot of people who’ve stopped taking on challenges and maybe that’s why I haven’t seen many posts for 2013, that, and I’ve been ignoring all my feeds. I think what I’m going to do is continue my 2012 challenges into 2013 and finish out what’s on my list because there are some great books on that list. Also, I’m not going to feel any guilt about it. Books will get read in the end.

It’s your turn, did you finish any challenges this year? Feel free to gloat if you managed a ton.

About these ads

10 thoughts on “Challenges or the I’m a miserable failure post

1. You are not alone, I have actually decided not to join challenges next year, I just want to read with no pressure.

2. Elizabeth Campbell says:

High-Fives! You and me both! Thank you so much for your bravery in posting this, I’m taking a lot of comfort and inspiration from it.

My reading year was much like yours. It can take me more than a year to finish a book. Participating in challenges just makes me freeze up.

• justbookreading says:

:) High-fives all around! I think I had that happen to me earlier this year when I realized I wouldn’t finish much of anything so I decided to just read what I wanted to. 2013, the year of relaxed reading.

3. Jenny says:

I don’t think I even signed up for any challenges this year. I like them, but I almost never finish them and am overcome with guilt and sorrow. :p I might do a rereading type of challenge one month, but that would be it.

• justbookreading says:

2013 is probably going to be challenge free for me, unless something great comes along. I love the community that challenges bring but I don’t like feeling stressed about reading. It’s supposed to be relaxing!

4. darkcargo says:

Tried to comment yesterday but it didn’t stick. Thanks for this post. A lot of thanks. Tried to do some challenges this year and got my face pushed in the Failure Poo. Unpleasant.

I like your idea of just carrying in through nex year. I thought about your post all day and realized that I am still reading books I started before I was married!

• justbookreading says:

:) Failure poo, love it!

I’m really glad to hear I’m not the only one that feels this way. When reading starts to feel stressful, it makes me very sad. Reading is my happy place. I want to be able to take my time reading a book and not feel any guilt if it takes me two weeks to finish it. I’m happy I read less this year. I may even read less in 2013 and I’m cool with that.

Also, saw your other post. Got caught in my filter. I have set it free!

5. “Also, I’m not going to feel any guilt about it. Books will get read in the end.”
    That’s the spirit! Anything that can add stress to your life needs to be deleted. Read on, my friend!